Mt. Friendship Peak Expedition
Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Rated 4.9/5.0 on TripAdvisor. 550 Reviews
Mt. Friendship Peak Expedition
The High Point of Friendship is Friendship Peak, located in the Beas Kund section of the Pir Panjal range, stands at an impressive 5289 metres above sea level and is a fantastic non-technical hiking peak for individuals with little to no mountaineering expertise. While it may be the least technically challenging mountain, summiting it still requires a high level of physical fitness, plenty of patience, and some exposure to high-altitude hiking.
Hadimba Temple Manali is the top attraction for visitors visiting Manali. the point where the two huge Beas rivers meet is shown. The trail goes through the beautiful Solang Valley, which is home to a wide variety of alpine meadows, a dense forest filled with different species of alpine trees, vibrant orchards, and a network of tiny and flowing streams.
In the eyes of both seasoned climbers and newcomers, this is the mountain to conquer. You can see the whole Pir Panjal and Dhauladhar mountain ranges from the top of Friendship Peak, which is surrounded by numerous other summits like the Hanuman Tibba expedition, Shetidhar, Indra Asan, and Mt. Deo Tibba Expedition. If you want to climb a mountain, this is the ideal option since there are less potential dangers and you have a 100% probability of reaching the summit (barring any unforeseen weather).
Many of the other 5,000 peaks that would eventually rise to prominence in the area surround Friendship Peak on a range. The trail begins in the Dhundi meadows' lush woods and continues on through the Thach highlands' fields and finally to the Lady Leg trailhead. Next, you'll need to carefully navigate the crevasses towards the peak, which form as the base snow gives way to the ice surface of far-reaching slants.
As the days go, the ascent becomes more severe, revealing ever-more-prolific displays of highland flora, notably flowers of many colours and varieties, all the way to the peak. There, far above the clouds and mist, is the expansive panorama that you've been craving after days of rain.
When the appropriate steps are taken with determination, success in the ascent is far more likely to occur. While reaching the summit may be a time of euphoria, the journey down reveals the full extent of its fragility. So, to have a secure climbing experience, it is important to bring along sufficient supplies. Climbing Friendship Peak presents a variety of topographical difficulties, inspiring climbers to reflect on the journey's cumulative toll. Although it's a fantastic climbing adventure that can be completed in only a few days, it's also a very adaptable excursion that no visitor to Manali should miss.
Cost Per Person
Itinerary of Expedition
You will arrive at Manali max by noon and from there Naggar is around 20 kms. Local buses are easily available and they run at half an hour intervals. At Naggar, check in to your hotel which will be shared to you prior to your arrival. Keep your luggage and freshen after your long journey, after which you will be greeted by a representative from Himalayan Adventure Trips. Some paperwork is in order so don’t forget to bring along a copy of your identification proof and undertaking to be submitted to our representative as it is required for forest permits. If you have any questions related to Friendship Peak then this is a good time to ask anything regarding the trail, snow condition, etc. After all the formalities have been taken care of, you are free to enjoy the rest of the day leisurely and do some local sightseeing so that you can get used to the mountain air better. You can even take care of some last minute shopping you might need to do before departing for your trek. Overnight stay at Hotel in Naggar.
From today we will be leaving civilization and entering the great outdoors. Wake up with great excitement and get ready to depart for Dhundi which is located 42 kms from Naggar. Soon after breakfast we will board our vehicles and depart for Dhundi from where the trek to Friendship Peak will begin. The drive to Dhundi will take about 2 hours to reach and from then onwards you will be on foot. Here, you will see an Avalanche study unit under SASE which is used to study the velocity and momentum of Avalanches in the area. The initial part of our trek today will start with a steep uphill climb to Palchani Thach from where you will be able to spot Friendship peak up close for the first time since your arrival in Manali. From Palchani Thach we will get down near to the river bed and then start our upward climb to the forest of fir, oak and walnut. Getting down from the forest we will need to cross a couple of streams and then go towards a steep yet short distanced climb to our campsite. From our campsite we can get a good view of Mt. Hanuman Tibba and to the other side will be our target peak, Friendship Peak. Enjoy tea and snacks in the great outdoors and witness how the colors change on the mountain tops as the sun sets. Have a hearty meal dinner to give you extra energy for your climb.
We wake up early in the morning to witness the magnificent sunrise illuminate the snow clad peaks of the surrounding. We will have hot and nutritious breakfast at our campsite and then soon depart for our upward trail to Lady Leg which will be our Advance Base camp for Friendship Peak. We will gradually cross the vast meadow of Bakarthach to set up our breathing for the steep climb to come ahead. We will reach a waterfall and from there the trek is a steep upward climb. On a steep hill we always use a method called traversing in which you walk in a zigzag pattern along the mountain slope so that less energy is consumed in the process. We reach our campsite and watch the route we have taken, the altitude we have climbed in our journey and the tents at Bakarthach look like small coloured dots now. Quickly freshen up and have a scrumptious meal after the hard effort that you have just completed. We take some rest before we start with our display and briefing of mountaineering equipment, sleep is absolutely discouraged at this point as altitude sickness can easily hit you. We learn how to use crampons, ice axes to use as anchor while falling, roping up and marching together as a team and ascending descending techniques on snow.
Our day is short and easy today, to help conserve the maximum amount of energy for the summit push the day after. We will make our way to the summit camp which is just 2 hours from Lady Leg campsite. Keep yourself active and fit to avoid any kind of symptoms of altitude sickness, move around and practice your techniques on the nearby slopes. Pack your knapsacks with whatever you require during the summit push and change into the clothes you would be wearing for the summit. Have an early dinner and sleep early as the ascent tomorrow starts way before the break of dawn.
The day of reckoning has finally arrived and we are all set for the summit attempt. Our wake up call will be at 1 am so that we can have a head start as this day can be strenuous and long. We have a quick and light breakfast of Dalia(oats) and Maggie to give us energy for the arduous summit attempt. All roped up, wearing our harnesses, helmets and carrying our ice axe, we set forth for our summit. Our climb is steep from the very beginning as we make our way up to the shoulder of the peak, crampons are required as we will be walking on the Glacier which consists of Hard ice and not snow. The route to the shoulder has many crevasses on its way and after reaching the shoulder, fixed rope might be needed from here according to the snow conditions and experience of the team. As we inch closer to the summit, we will encounter a black boulder at approximately 5000 metres where the route needs to be carefully inspected and executed. As we finally arrive at the summit at around 8-9 am, the whole panoramic view of the Pir Panjal and Dhauladhar range is revealed to us in full 360 degree view rewarding you for the long and strenuous hardship you put your body through. We take the same route back to our summit camp where we will wind up the campsite that we established and make our journey back to Lady Leg to enjoy the comforts of a lower altitude and a sound sleep at night.
We have reserved a day extra to increase the chances of the summit, this day will only be used in case of any kind of natural or unexpected obstacle such as rain, snowfall, etc. In case the buffer day is used then extra charges will be collected from all participants.
With the accomplishment of Summiting Friendship peak raising our spirit, we will start early and follow the same route that we had taken back to Dhundi. On arrival at Dhundi, we will board our vehicles which will take us back to civilization. You will be dropped at Manali Mall road where we will say goodbye to each other and conclude our journey.
Enquiry For Group Bookings
➽ Preparation for Expedition
As you well know, the great Himalayan expedition is one that requires careful preparation, a strategy that allows for enough flexibility to adapt to whatever challenges may arise.
Therefore, here are some things to consider before setting out on your Friendship Peak Expedition:
⦿ Physically – You should start working out at least a month before signing up for a program if you want to be physically prepared for the rigours of a journey. Strengthen your legs by jogging and working out regularly to increase your stamina. To better acclimatise to the environment and increase your resilience on the walk, you should give up smoking and undertake breathing exercises twice a day. Engage in vigorous physical activity, such as playing sports, doing Yoga, or running.
⦿ Mentally –
Getting in shape physically is essential, but mental preparation is just as crucial for a successful walk. Take time to enjoy your regular activities, maintain a healthy diet and sleep schedule, and unwind before embarking on a hike. Predictions regarding the journey should not cause mental worry. Spend time with your closest pals to recharge your batteries and renew your spirit. Pre-trek preconceptions are unwarranted since the first contact with the other trekkers is certain to be a source of inspiration and energy. Conditions during the walk will contribute to the increase in mental readiness. The mental repercussions of physical disadvantages will not be ignored. So, when you hike, pay attention to different regions of your body and purposefully relax them. If you want to enjoy your hike, you should learn to loosen up a little, particularly in the hips. Think about your descent as a simple dance, and enjoy the natural rhythms that the path and your body can discover together gradually, whether you're on a flowing downhill route or a frightening slope. Try out a few new walking techniques to add some fun to your commute without worrying about getting somewhere in particular. Maintaining mental fitness mostly requires a willingness to relax and take in the journey, rather than subjecting oneself to undue stress.
➽ Things to Carry
- Good Trekking Boots: You need sturdy trekking boots with supportive high ankles. Don't bring your running shoes. U can carry extra floaters/flip flops also.
- Wear warm clothing, such three-layer coats, fleece upper, hollow fill or down-filled jackets. Carry full-sleeved T-shirt. Carry cotton hiking trek pants and warm pant for your lower body. Never bring shorts or jeans on a hike.
- Take top and bottom thermals with you.
- Quick dry towel with light weight and Personal toiletries. Suns cream lotion, sanitizer, tooth brush ad toothpaste, lip balm and antibacterial powder.
- Socks: Bring two pairs of regular socks and two pair of wool socks for wearing at night.
- A head torch is required.
- Sunglasses/ Goggle: UV-protected sunglasses are necessary to protect against sunlight and Snow Mountain.
- There should also be a woolen cap / balaclava, cap, neck gaiter cum face mask and warm fleece and waterproof summit gloves since it will be chilly. Keep waterproof gloves on hand since they become wet in the snow.
- Everyone taking part in the activity should have their own lunchbox, spoon, mug and water bottle/ hydration pack of 2 ltr.
- Raincoats/ponchos: Since snowfall and rain are frequent at high elevations, it is important to have one on hand so as to avoid getting wet.
- Trekking bag of 75 ltr with rain cover.
- Walking stick.
- Personal first aid box. Emergency ration, energy bars, dry fruit, electoral/Ors
- Personal technical gears list of mountaineering (on rent basis available)
- Climbing boot, Crampon, Sleeping bag (optional), Ice axe, seat harness, Rope and tape sling, helmet, Summit gloves, Gaiters, Carabineers 2 no (screw), figure of eight/descendor, Zumar (Ascendor),
- Required Documents:
a) Registration Form
b) Medical Certificate (signed by a licensed MBBS physician)
c) NOC form (completed by the trekker)
d) 2 passport-size photos
e) ID Proof photo (not PAN)
g) Insurance upto 5 lac..
➽ How to Reach
How to reach Manali:
Delhi and Manali are linked nicely. You may travel from Delhi to Manali in 12 to 14 hours via overnight bus (approx 540 KMS). Online ticket reservations are available at www.redbus.in and www.hrtc.gov.in Tip: Given the distance between Delhi and Manali, the majority of Volvo private buses depart Delhi between 5 and 8 p.m. At 8.30 p.m., the final government bus departs from ISBT Kashmere Gate. Between Rs. 1,200 and Rs. 1,800 are charged by Volvo buses each sector from Delhi to Manali and vice versa. Delhi to Manali: Buses depart from Manali for Delhi between 4 and 8 p.m., same like the return trip. You should expect to arrive in Delhi any time between six and ten in the morning. Plan your subsequent trips just after midday, leaving ample time for bus delays.
How to reach Naggar:
Naggar is 18 kilometres from Manali, and there are several buses that operate every 15 minutes. Alternatively, one may get out at Patlikuhal, which is 5 kilometres from Naggar on the right bank highway. Between Kullu and Manali is Patlikuhal. To get to Naggar, you may take a cab or a local bus from Manali or Patlikuhal.
The closest train station is:
Ambala (350 miles) and Chandigarh are the closest railway stations (310 kms). Advice: From Chandigarh to Manali, regular buses and Volvos run in the evening. Volvo buses from Chandigarh to Manali and vice versa charge between Rs. 800 and Rs. 1,200 every sector.
The closest airport:
The closest airport to Manali is Bhuntar, which is 52 kilometres distant. From Bhuntar to Manali, taxi services are available and cost between Rs. 1500 and Rs. 2,500. Air travel between Bhuntar and Delhi is convenient. Airlines providing flights from Delhi and Chandigarh to Kullu include Indian Airlines, Kingfisher Airlines, MDLR Airlines, and Jagson Airlines.
➽ Trip Cost Includes
- Mountaineering (Instructor/guide) services provided by a highly trained, professional, and qualified Himalayan Adventure Trips staff.
- Certified local guide with extensive familiarity of the area.
- Climbing provides only vegetarian food (breakfast, lunch, and dinner).
- Staff include chefs, cooks, and helpers.
- High Altitude Force, Low Altitude Force, Porters, Mules for Common Equipment (Rations, Tents, Utensils, Central Climbing Equipment, etc.)
- Tents (to be shared), sleeping bags, air mattresses, and air pads are included. Inner
- We offer twin-share accommodations in dome, alpine, and high-altitude tents on all of our treks and expeditions. All necessary camping equipment, including air mattresses, a shelter for cooking and eating, a table and chairs, a stool, and more, would be supplied.
- Someone who can carry heavy items, set up high camps, repair ropes, etc. at high altitudes.
- Assistance from Guide All the Way to the Top
- High-altitude butane gas cooker
- The only meal offered at the hotel will be breakfast. All meals while on the walk will be supplied for you. Indian, Chinese, and Continental cuisines, all freshly cooked, will be on the menu.
- Tin-packaged food is what we'll eat at high altitude.
- A standard first aid kit with oxygen masks for the patient.
- Camping fees, wildlife fees, and forest permits.
- Taxes imposed by the state.
- Climbing equipment such as ropes, pitons, snow bars, crabs, etc.
➽ Trip cost Excludes
- Climbers may hire individual porters to carry their gear.
- Airport transportation costs
- Expenses for carrying still/video cameras etc.
- Irregular/Personal costs, such as laundry, phone calls, and gratuities.
- Your own personal mountaineering equipment and clothes, as well as any specialised foods you may need
- Inner Line Permit.
- Health coverage or the price of a rescue mission
- Expenditures of a more personal character (such as booze, soda, bottled water, mineral water, canned or bottled drinks, candy, canned or packaged dried fruits, etc.)
- Provisions/food to or from the starting point of the trek.
- Any expenses that are incurred as a result of natural disasters, human error, or other unforeseeable occurrences.
- Protect your trip with a travel insurance policy.
- Authorization, licensing, and enlistment with the IMF.
- Payment for Liaison Officer (included for foreign expedition only)
- GST of 5%.
➽ Special Casual Leaves
Government employee can avail the benefit of special casual leave when u join us for a trekking expedition. As per the rule of the pay commission, special casual leave can be availed for up to 30 days in a calendar years for trekking and mountaineering expeditions through a register organization. Himalayan adventure trips are a register adventure tour operator register with Indian mountaineering foundation and Himachal Pradesh tourism. Candidates have to apply for leave at least 30 days before the trek/expedition start.
➽ Provided By The Customers
Everything about our visit to Prashar lake was better than we could have imagined. From our initial contact with Himalayan Adventure Trips, we felt their genuine interest in learning about our group's goals and expectations, and our travels with them reinforced at every turn that they not only understood our requirements but also have the acute skill and expertise to achieve them. Having already had such a wonderful experience with this firm, I will be promoting a trek to Prashar lake to all my friends who share my passion for hiking and will specifically recommend that they work with this outfit. Absolutely fantastic; I have nothing but praise for it.